Although my tights pattern for both the Cabbage Patch dolls and 18 inch dolls are really quick and easy patterns to make up, sometimes it can be a little tricky to find just the right stretch fabric. So this month I am sharing a tutorial on making doll tights from a ladies sock that one of my wonderful customers, Peggy, has sent me. Peggy loves to create doll clothes using socks and was kind enough to send me some step-by-step pictures and instructions. She says, ‘The nice thing about it is that it is easy to find so many great pairs of socks in really great colours and designs.’
I am sure you will enjoy this tutorial as much as I did.
1. New ladies knee sock lying flat
2. Pull the sock onto the doll so that the top of the sock is at waist level, mark the bottom of the foot and crotch level with pins
3. Take the sock off the doll and lay it flat again before cutting. Top pin marks the crotch, bottom pin marks bottom of foot. Cut across the sock at the bottom pin level
4. Move the crotch level pins out to the sides and cut up the side creases from the bottom to the level of the crotch pin marks on both sides (about 6-7” for an American Girl doll). The sock is now split up the sides to crotch level
5. Turn the sock so that two sides are formed to make legs
6. Turn the piece inside out and pin across the bottom, up the inside of that leg, across the crotch and down the opposite side again
7. Serge a rolled hem across the bottom, up the inside of the leg, across the crotch area and down the other side. Be careful to catch all the fabric well in the crotch area so that it doesn’t run, sometimes it is necessary to go over that area a second time
(If you don’t have a serger, sew using a small zigzag stitch or knit stitch. I would also recommend dropping the cutting blade if you use the serger. If you want to make tights without feet, Peggy finishes the lower edge with the rolled hem the length she wants before sewing the leg seams.)
8. Turn to the right side and put on your doll. Tights fit doll beautifully. Natural ribbing top band of the knee sock becomes the waist band of the tights
9. Stripy socks make stunning tights
Thanks so much Peggy for sharing your tips on sewing doll tights from a ladies sock, I’m sure there will be lots of people out buying colourful ladies socks to turn into cute tights for their dolls this Christmas. If you would like more tips and tricks on how to make doll clothes the easy way my video course is the perfect resource.
By Rosie Saw