In my Facebook group we have a monthly Sew-Along where anyone can join in sewing an outfit or two, or three… using my patterns and we choose someone randomly to be our ‘Participation Winner’. This person gets to choose one of my patterns they would like added to their online membership for free. The theme for our January Sew-Along was ‘Alterations’ and WOW have we got some creative sewers in our group! It’s wonderful to see everyone’s confidence grow as they experiment with altering patterns to create amazing new outfits!
The first one I’m going to share was made by Tina and it was during our bushfire crisis here in Australia so she paid homage to our wonderful fire fighters by creating this wonderful outfit.
‘I’ve been sewing wildlife pouches for the past few weeks so have taken a short break to make this. This is inspired by all the firies, Australian and international, that are currently battling our devastating bushfires and the incredible job they are doing. I already had the material, so when this month’s theme was alterations, knew exactly what I was going to do.
I used the dropped waist dress pattern for the top – making the back 1 piece and cutting the front down the middle and adding extra seam allowance. I cut the collar on the fold to make it 1 piece instead of 2. I lengthened the sleeve to make long sleeves (bit too long though). For the pants, I used the overalls pattern, and cut it so it didn’t include the bib part. Hardest thing I found with this was cutting the reflective strips. They’re so thin and slippery, and my hand doesn’t work quite properly yet (surgery a while back). I think I need to get myself a rotary cutter.
At some stage I’ll probably attempt a helmet to go with it, but for now just a strip of material will suffice for the headband. In hindsight, I should have added an extra inch to the length of the jacket. Next time.. The stitching is a little rough, but I’m a little tired. It was a fun thing to do, and my first sew and share after joining in December. I look forward to many more.’
How amazing is this! And thank you for making wildlife pouches for all our injured animals Tina. xxx
The next two are by Debra. Firstly, she cut the bodice of the 50’s Vintage Dress so as to create two curved pieces and this creates a wonderful feature on the bodice. Great job Debra! Then the second alteration she did was to shorten the Angel pattern and cut across the top off to create a bodice which she did in a contrasting fabric and lined. Another wonderful idea.
Laurie found a picture and used it as inspiration to create this adorable 1920’s dress.
‘I chose pay homage to 1920 in the first month of 2020. I used the Drop Waist Dress pattern and altered the neck by 1/4″, made the top pieces 2″ longer, and the skirt is 1/2″ longer and only as wide as the top. No gathering! Keeping to the 20’s theme, the dress is made from an old pillow case and it’s long so she can wear it to church all year. Since it’s white (although it looks blue) it is not a dress for school or play. The inspiration drawing is from a Google search.’
I love it Laurie and it’s wonderful to see you altering a pattern to achieve the look you want.
Monica has also been busy and had many entries in the January Sew-Along. The following are a couple of my favourites.
‘Belinda is wearing an evening dress. Used the upper part of the Swim suit (resized to 110%) and changed it into a long dress. The Summer Dressing Gown shortened to just over the hips and the Pyjama pants, as patterns for a judo outfit.’
I seriously would never have thought to use my Swim Suit as the bodice for a dress, but why not? And the judo outfit is perfect! Love your creativity Monica.
Now, how cute are these little pyjama sets that Helen has created combining two of my patterns!
‘Summer shorty pyjamas…….Summer Dress made to peplum length and Winter Pyjama pants made into shorts. Rotten fish are swimming in all directions….I used new pattern pieces for the bodice of the mermaids and forgot to lower the neckline!’
I love it Helen and don’t worry about the fish, they usually swim in whatever direction they want!
And the last one I just had to include was this reversible Dress by Susan.
‘Fun dress, used a child friendly fabric (Fat Quarter) and added a band of that fabric to the skirt of the Summer Dress pattern. Dress is fully reversible, fun on one side, party dress on the other. Truth, the lace is to cover up poorly placed seams.’
Wonderful idea Susan and shhhhh, if you don’t tell anyone about the seams, they won’t notice!