Today I’ve got another tip from Peggy on how to make a pair of doll clothes underpants from a ladies sock so again this is perfect for using those odd socks that we all end up with.
1. Pull the sock onto your doll with the top of the sock at the waist or hips and then mark the crotch level with a pin or pen. Remove the sock from the doll and cut across the sock at this point.
3. Cut a wedge shape off the bottom corner on the side that has two folds. In this photo the left side has one fold and will be the centre front and back of the pants so you cut from the bottom right side.
4. Open the sock out and you can see the pants take shape. Because the leg openings were cut together, they will be the same size.
5. Peggy does a rolled edge with her serger around the leg opening. You could do a zigzag stitch if you don’t have a serger. Then serge or stitch the crotch seam with right sides together.
6. The elastic edge at the top of the sock becomes the waistband and it fits beautifully.
Peggy has since used fold-over elastic on the leg openings and attaches it before sewing the crotch seam. This give a nicer finish on the edges.
As you can see from the photos above, Peggy loves making matching socks and underpants. In the coming weeks Peggy will show us how to make a simple top to match with these underpants.
Thanks Peggy for sharing this wonderful tip with us all.
If you would like to make some underpants for your 18 inch doll or 18 ½ inch Cabbage Patch doll using an old t-shirt and a little elastic, I have a lovely underpants doll clothes pattern that is easy to make and I’ve been told is, “the best panties pattern piece ever!”
By Rosie Saw
Thank you. very nice idea. Will try it. especially using the
fold over elastic.
Very inventive pattern..thank you for sharing.
Good Idea and so simple. I would have never thought of doing this.
What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂
That is a GREAT idea!! how do you come up with them?
That is BRILLIANT!! so are you rosie!
Running out to the Dollar Store right now…
So many new ideas,love this .
Oi, så spennende. Jeg tror den store Såkkespiseren bor hos meg, for stadig vekk så kommer det bare 5 sokker ut av vaskemaskinen, selv om jeg er ganske sikker på at jeg la inn 6 stykker:-) Dette var et kjempe smart trips, så nå blir det mange truser her. Takk for ideen og gode bilder med forklaringer. Hilsen fra Norge
‘Oh, so exciting. I think the big sackcloth lives with me, because constantly there are only 5 socks out of the washing machine, although I’m pretty sure I put in 6 pieces 🙂 This was a huge smart tip, so now there are many panties here. Thanks for the idea and good pictures with explanations. Greetings from Norway’
Hi Gerd, I’m glad you found this blog helpful and have turned your orphaned socks into underpants. 🙂
that is so good, thanks for that Peggy and of cause you Rosie for allowing Peggy to show us..
So glad you liked it, Fiona! If you make some, please be sure to show us on the Rosie’s Doll Clothes Patterns Sew and Share Facebook Group.